Going on outdoor adventures with your dog is a lifetime experience.
Some people love to take their canine friends hiking, fishing, hunting, or camping. To keep your dog safe while walking on rough mountain roads, the best leash for hiking is necessary.
When planning an outing with your dog, a reliable leash is a must hiking gear for your dog. It can be strung on a tree, in a cave, or attached to the owner’s belt. Likewise, it will allow you to control your dog on the steep rocks and bumpy roads.
A Quick Look at Our Top Picks for the Best Dog Leashes for Hiking
- RUFFWEAR Crag Dog Leash for Hiking
- Chai’s Choice Outdoor Leash for Hiking With Dogs
- RUFFWEAR Climbing Rope Hiking Leash For Dogs
- Leashboss Long Leash for Hiking & Camping
- OutdoorMaster Bungee Leash For Outdoor Activities
Must Read: How to Clean Any Dog Leash (Simple Guide)
Given the wide variety of dog leashes available, we’ve brought together a whole list of the best dog leashes for hiking and outdoor activities to assist you in selecting the ideal leash for your needs.
1. RUFFWEAR Crag Dog Leash for Hiking
- Adjustable dog leash in 6 elegant colors.
- Can be used as an around the waist or handheld dog leash.
- A strong slackline leash, built for durability.
- Talon clipper is uniquely designed for a secure connection.
- The leash is easy to wash and maintain.
- The overall hardware is rigid for hiking and outdoor use.
Made from durable nylon webbing, this sturdy dog leash is designed for all-weather use. The RUFFWEAR dog leash is a terrific accessory for dogs that love to run and play outside.
The rugged design makes it perfect for active dogs with a strong instinct to chase and pull. The metal slider allows for one-handed adjustment. The talon connector provides an easy snap dog collar attachment and a quick-release safety mechanism. The Ruffwear dog leash is designed with a padded handle for extra comfort and includes distinct reflective trim for added visibility in low lighting.
This leash is a great choice for all dog sizes from small active pups to leash pulling strong mutts. Dogs have a strong desire to tough off while going on rough terrain for hiking. So, a good leash for hiking like a RUFFWEAR dog leash is a must.
2. Chai’s Choice Outdoor Leash for Hiking With Dogs
- 3M Reflective nylon webbing for better visibility at nighttime.
- An attachment clip made from alloy zinc is known for durability.
- Overall rigid hardware makes it suitable for hiking and outdoor activities.
- Dog leash with a padded handle for soft comfort.
- Choice of 10 colors makes this leash a versatile option.
- Available in 44inches and 78inches lengths for medium and large dogs.
This high-quality leash is the perfect addition to your dog’s adventure gear. This leash is made for multiple outdoor activities and walks.
Chai’s Choice – Premium Outdoor Adventure Dog Leash is made with premium materials for strength, durability, and long-lasting value. This lightweight, yet durable leash is made with heavy-duty nylon to keep your pet safe. Designed with a padded handle for comfort while on a hiking trip.
Available in vibrant colors, so you can match it with your pet’s favorite collar. The design has reflective strips making it visible even in dim light. It comes in 2 lengths for medium & large dogs.
These leashes are made from strong nylon and its connector clip is made from alloy zinc for additional security when you are outdoors playing with your dog.
3. RUFFWEAR Climbing Rope Hiking Leash for Dogs
- Rope leash made with strong inner core for durability.
- Carabiner clip for secure attachment while running and hiking.
- Get to choose from 10 bright colors, black and red being the most popular.
- Hand wash leash with gentle soap, water, and dry it in open.
- Easy to grip tubular handle for comfort during long hiking.
- Suitable for occasional chewing, not for active chewers.
The RUFFWEAR Knot-a-Leash Dog Leash has a strong and secure locking carabiner. You can easily attach it to your dog’s collar for reliable control and protection. This version of the climbing rope leash is a perfect choice for any dog or puppy under 45 lbs.
The leash is made from a sturdy climbing rope with reflective webbing for better visibility at nighttime camping. The easy-to-hold tubular webbing handle makes it comfortable and easy to carry around. Choose from 10 different colors, the colors that complement your dog collar or harness.
The carabiner locking mechanism sometimes tangles up or twists while running, it would be great if RUFFWEAR, Climbing Rope Dog Leash has a swivel clip variant as well.
4. Leashboss Long Leash for Hiking & Camping
- Extra-long training leash, available in 10feet or 15feet variants.
- Choose from bright orange or glossy black colors.
- The leash is well made from strong nylon, ideal for camping or hiking.
- Has an easy to hold padded handle that is comfortable.
- Assembled in The USA under a 5-year warranty for product defects.
- It is not a 100% chew-proof leash.
The Leashboss dog leash is a perfect leash for training your dog in a convenient and comfortable way.
This leash is perfect for camping, hiking, and exploring. The long length allows you to walk your dog without having to constantly adjust the leash. The padded neoprene handle is designed for comfort and durability.
The long leash will allow your dog to explore while maintaining complete control. Leashboss leashes are designed with a perfect length of 10 or 15 feet for ease and dog safety. Its length is perfect for off-leash training as well.
This leash is sturdy and reliable enough to go on a camping trip with you and your dog. Designed with a neoprene padded handle for extra comfort when you are out in the wilderness. The USA assembled dog leash comes with a 5-year manufacturer’s warranty that protects against defects and other manufacturing defects.
5. OutdoorMaster Bungee Leash for Outdoor Activities
- Bungee that absorbs shocks upon dog pulling and tugging.
- Ideal for pullers as it reduces the risk of injury.
- The padded handle has a soft grip and a comfy feel.
- Traffic handle near the collar to impose immediate control when needed.
- Made from top nylon material and quality hardware.
- Tangle-free attachment clip, easy to attach and detach.
OutdoorMaster bungee dog leash will ensure your dog is kept safe while hiking. You can use it to walk your dog anywhere you want. The bungee leash provides extra comfort and helps reduce the risk of injury.
This leash is a must-have for every dog owner. It reduces uncertainty and provides a comfortable, safe solution to walk your dog. The soft padded handle offers ultimate comfort while being easy to hold. The connect buckle provides a stronghold and quick release. This lightweight leash is easy to carry and use even with small breed dogs. However, if you are looking for a chew-proof dog leash this is not the one to get.
It can also be used as an everyday leash and a training dog leash. Overall, the traffic handle near the dog collar makes this leash a perfect choice for outdoor activities or to walk your dog in crowded places.
6. Lynxking Check Cord Dog Leash
- Available in multiple sizes, get the thickness and length that suits your needs
- This rope leash is well-known for portability and strength.
- Connector Clap that can rotate 360 degrees and does not tangle while hiking.
- The long dog leash won’t sink while swimming or absorb water.
- Get the leash color that suits your dog, black being the most common.
- The leash handle is woven with double-layered material for comfort.
A new leash design that has a 360-degree rotating clasp design that will not let your dog’s leash get tangled. This new design is made of a round climbing rope that is strong and won’t absorb water while teaching your dog how to swim.
Also great for hiking, camping, hunting, and other outdoor activities. The double-layer handle will give you a soft feel but a strong grip. A lightweight design will not weigh down your small or medium size dogs.
The rope is woven with well-built material that can easily resist occasional chewing. The leash is long enough to let your dog explore the wilderness without having concerned about getting lost.
7. TUG 360° Retractable Dog Leash For Hiking
- Available in 4 different sizes, thicknesses, and 7 colors.
- Retractable leash with quick lock and unlock button.
- The hardware is well-built and durable for hiking.
- A nylon tape leash with 360-degree movement.
- The leash is not suitable for dog chewing.
- The handle won’t slip and has an ergonomic design for comfort.
Tug 360° Retractable Dog Leash is lightweight and made from nylon tape for additional safety. This tough and durable nylon leash has 360-degree tape movement for maximum control. The easy lock and unlock button give you more control, so you can free or pause tape retraction at any time with the press of a button.
The anti-slip handle is easy to grip with one hand and won’t hurt during long walks. The leash is also portable, having an easy-to-carry handle. This leash is designed for heavy-duty use, so you can rely on it when needed the most. This durable leash is a great choice that you can rely on while performing tough hiking activities.
8. SparklyPets On Hands-Free Hiking Leash
- Dog leash that can be used as a hands-on or hands-free leash
- Made with Nylon material that is lightweight and compact.
- 2 Steel clips for better attachment and won’t unlatch while hiking.
- Flexible bungee design to overcome dog pulling and tugging.
- Not suitable for small dogs, a leash for medium and large-breed dogs.
- Suitable for all waist sizes with adjustable belts from 28-inches to 47-inches.
SparklyPets on the waist dog leash has a support mechanism that is designed with 2 stainless steel clasps for equal force distribution on dog pulling. Be safe on the road this summer with this fashionable and practical hands-free leash. Convenient rubber handle, this leash can be switched from hands-free to hands-on easily.
This leash is designed with a comfortable traffic handle that makes it simple to control your dog even in crowded places. This stylish leash for large dogs is available in 6 different colors that are sure to enhance any look. The lightweight and retractable bungee design are sure to provide more control than traditional leashes.
You can easily hold it with your hand or attach it to the waist belt so you can easily control your dog when hiking, camping, or doing any outdoor activities.
Must Read: How to Leash Train an Older Dog
Buyer’s Guide: Choose The Best Hiking Leash For Dogs
As of now, we have gone through the top dog leashes available right now for hiking. We’ve already seen that they come in a variety of sizes, designs, and forms, so when choosing the best leashes for hiking, what features should you consider before making any final decision?
The Size Of the Leash
The length of the leash depends on your dog’s behavior as well as the hiking destination. A short leash is recommended so you can keep the dog close, especially in areas where there is a lot of distraction that dogs don’t enjoy. If you plan to trek near a road and there are fast-moving cars your dog might go out into the road and may suffer an accident, in this case, short leashes are a fantastic solution.
On the other hand, Longer leashes, provide more freedom to a dog but compromises control. This allows them to explore all around the area and drain out more energy. If you’re truly having trouble choosing, you should consider a retractable leash as it has an adjustable length.
A leash can be built from a number of materials, although nylon leashes are the most popular. They are typically accessible, inexpensive, and available in all range prices and quality levels.
A premium leash is traditionally made of leather. Leather leashes are gentle to touch and more comforting than nylon ones. The leash will last a long time because leather is a sturdy material.
Ease of Use
Don’t undervalue the significance of this feature! You need to have a comfortable leash if you are planning to bring your dog hiking and spend the entire day outdoors.
The most comfortable leashes to grip are usually braided cotton or nylon leashes that have a soft grip. However, if your dog is strong or a bit of a live wire, you may need a handle that is more robust and has additional cushioning on the top.
Leash Having Strong Hardware
A hiking leash for dogs requires strong metal clips, sturdy rivets, and rigid D-rings for better lifespan and durability. The best hardware should be well constructed of corrosion-resistant steel material or a sturdy metal with chromium coating to prevent cracking because plastic would soon fall or split easily, especially while handling the tugging, pulling, and jumping of a young dog.
Why You Should Get The Best Leash For Hiking?
The majority of dogs like hiking, and for daring dog owners, nothing beats hiking with dogs. It benefits both of you: strengthening friendship, getting fresh air, and doing exercise all at once.
Both large and small canines may engage in recreational activities, and with the correct equipment, these activities are kept simple. Get the proper dog collar, harness, and leash for hiking, regardless of how far or how short your adventure would be, good quality dog leash will keep your dog under control during hiking or camping.
Read More: How to Teach a Dog to Walk on a Leash?
Final Thoughts | Best Dog Leash for Hiking
Just like any pet, the dog is not a completely rational animal. They have their own set of tricks that they do. They can sometimes pull on the leash, tough with force, or run abruptly.
These are the moments when you have to command dogs to behave. To overcome these stressful moments with your dog, it is best to have a dog leash that can impose control on the dog when needed.
If you’re a person who goes hiking to explore nature, then our top pick is the RUFFWEAR Crag Dog Leash for Hiking which is considered the best dog leash for hiking that is made to secure any dog in tough outdoor conditions.