Dogs chewing on leashes is a very unfortunate and potentially painful activity. Dog owners hate this as they are not cheap. If you are one of those, the best chew-proof leashes can help.
Chewing and jumping are part of a dog’s canine behavior. Yet, there are many ways that you can teach your dog to stop leash biting. The most effective way preferred by dog owners is to provide an alternative biting toy.
A Quick Look at Our Top 3 Picks for the Best Chew-Proof Dog Leashes
- LEASH LINKS Trainer: The leash most suitable for aggressive chewers, made from Biothane and PVC plastic.
- PUPTECK Chew Proof Retractable Dog Leash: Chew-resistant leash for the fans of retractable leashes, its steel wire extension makes it well suited for leash biters.
- Mighty Paw Chew Proof Dog Leash: A rigid leash made from steel braided chord, its padded handle is extremely comfortable to hold.
Read More: How to Leash Train an Older Dog
Here is the list of our 8 best chew-proof dog leashes:
|Best Overall||LEASH LINKS Trainer||Plastic Link Leash||A+||$$$$|
|Chew-poof Retractable||PUPTECK Chew Proof Retractable Leash||Retractable Leash||A||$$$|
|Heavy-Duty||Mighty Paw Chew Proof Dog Leash||Steel Cable Leash||A+||$$|
|Steel Cable Leash||VirChewLy Chew Resistant Dog Leash||Steel Cable Leash||B+||$$$|
|Nylon Rope Leash||Rucal Pets Chew Resistant Dog Leash||Rope Leash||A||$|
|Double-Layered||Dutchy Brand Heavy Duty Leash||Nylon Leash||A+||$$|
|Chew-Resistant Chain Leash||CtopoGo Heavy Duty Chain Leash||Chain Leash||A||$$|
|Most Durable||S-ETOVUS Dog Training Leash||Chain Leash||A+||$$|
Chewing is one of the more common behaviors that dogs engage in. A double padded, chew-proof leash can help you to train a dog not to chew on the leash. Here are the 8 best chew-proof dog leashes that are heavy duty.
1. Best Chew Proof Dog Leash - LEASH LINKS Trainer
- A detachable design, the main anti-chew plastic link, and a comfortable handle.
- The leash is water-resistant and won’t rust or smell as time passes.
- One-handed, easy to connect and disconnect clip.
- Rivets used are well-fixed and are rust-resistant.
- The leash can bear the tugging and pull of active dogs.
- Shortage of length may not suit some situations.
If your dog does bite down on a leash, there can be several reasons for doing so.
LEASH LINKS has provided a high-density polyester webbing leash along with PVC materials. A front swivel clip makes it easy to attach and detach from your pet’s collar or harness. The steel link that can bear 920lbs breaking force is super strong and durable, especially for strong dogs. The leash itself is 18.5inches in length and the handle is 10.75inches. However, not as long as some other leashes in the list.
This Leash is suitable for all dog sizes. Can be used for walking, running, and training your pup. The handle is made from Biothane that is comfortable and gentle to grip with one hand. Provided with a 30 day fully refundable money-back guarantee, so you can get this leash without worrying about the money.
The chew-proof leash has a detachable handle and swivels clips which are designed for one-handed easy connect and release. LEASH LINK’s chew-proof leash is built from high-quality materials that are lightweight, strong, comfortable, and safe to use. It is the best anti-chew leash with a plastic leash link that is enough to stop lead chewing and biting immediately.
2. PUPTECK Chew Proof Retractable Dog Leash
- Retractable leash with chew-resistant alloy steel rope extension.
- 16-foot nylon tape that can be adjusted as per the situation.
- Gives dogs freedom of movement with two 360° rotation clips.
- The nylon tape has black reflective webbing, reflect light for nighttime visibility.
- Comfortable slip-free handle that is easy to hold and grip.
- The nylon tape itself is not chew-proof, but the steel extension is.
If you are tired of your pet destroying its leash by chewing? This retractable nylon tape can extend up to 16ft and can control a dog up to 110lbs. The 16-feet nylon tape had an adjustable length so that you can easily use it as your needs.
Retractable Dog Leash is specially designed with an anti-chewing wire extension to resist teething and leash chewing from your furry friend. A 360° rotating hook can easily avoid entanglement and helps your dog to roam around while running and hiking. The long leash ensures your dog will be within reach when attention is needed.
Don’t worry about your dog getting caught up in anything with its tangle-free design. The steel extension is strong enough to overcome the leash-chewing habit of your dog.
The retractable dog leash is lightweight, durable, and strong enough to support the weight of small and medium-size dogs. It is convenient to carry in a bag or pouch when you go out with your pet. The reflective strip allows you to easily identify the leash in the dark.
3. Mighty Paw Chew Proof Dog Leash
- A 6-foot leash made from climber cable coated with heavy-duty material.
- Padded handle that is easy to grip and hold for long walks.
- Well suited for small and medium breed dogs.
- The alloy steel braided leash is best for active chewers.
- The aluminum clip used is durable and can stand 850lbs force.
Sometimes dogs deliberately chew on a leash, this is because it is a way to acquire attention from the owner and what will be the best way to get noticed than chewing an expensive dog leash. Dogs are hyperactive pets, and one of the easiest ways to release stress is by biting on the leash.
Stop your pet from biting or getting away from you with this anti-biting leash. It’s designed to stop biting instantly with the safe and easy-to-use anti-biting rigid design.
It’s made with a steel cable that can easily bear 850lbs breaking force. It’s strong and durable and is made to last for years of service. The tight swivel clips are easy to attach and detach. The detachable handle makes it easy to carry. Get to decide from orange or green colors, choose the one that suits your dog attire.
Mighty Paw Chew-Proof Dog Leash is water-resistant, and hardcore. although with an adjustable mechanism its length is well-suited for small dogs and puppies. Delivered with a 90 days return period that can easily be applied for by contacting the Mighty Paw support.
4. VirChewLy Chew Resistant Dog Leash
- Build with steel cable, coated with strong vinyl for resistance against chewing.
- Constructed for durability, the padded handle makes it comfortable in hand.
- Sturdy leash clip for strong attachment suitable for dogs up to 220lbs weight.
- The leash won’t absorb odor and is rust-resistant.
- Being slightly expensive rope and nylon leashes.
Dogs and especially active small dogs, release their additional energy by jumping, tugging, or chewing. Thus, all these behaviors are very annoying, but things become even worse when such irritating activities become a habit.
This VirChewLy dog leash is a favorable choice among dog owners and trainers. The leash is durable and safe. The unique combination of nylon and polyester materials allows for unparallel strength and anti-chew characteristics.
The two-part design allows for a grip and handles for extra control. The strong and comfortable padded handle makes the leash ideal for walking your pup. The simple, rust-resistant design is virtually chew-proof. This leash is made of an ultra-strong combination of nylon and polyester. It is dirt and odor-resistant caused by bacteria. A comfortable, heavy-duty design makes this leash perfect for large dogs that are active chewers.
5. Rucal Pets Chew Resistant Dog Leash
- Durable leash constructed with thick nylon rope.
- The reflective webbing glows for visibility at night.
- The 6-foot length and metal clamp ensure tangle-free safety.
- Choose from 9 vibrant colors, Black is the most common.
- Comforting fabric handle, easy to grip while running, walking.
- Won’t sustain in case of constant aggressive chewing.
The Rucal Pets Chew-resistant dog leash is made of thick braided nylon paracord to ensure a strong grip. It has reflective webbing for night visibility so car drivers and people can see.
The leash enables you to control your dog while giving you the freedom to walk and keeping your hand comfortable. This leash is easier to maintain than chain leashes because it allows you to have better control over your pet. It can be used on any special occasion or for everyday walks.
Such dog rope leashes are ideal for dog owners who are looking for a quality leash that will last for years to come. To ensure its safe use, the rope leash has an anti-slip design, so it won’t hurt your dog while he walks.
Safe to use, the pet leash is perfect for any breed of dog. It is the best leash for a husky and even for a large dog like Golden Retriever.
Linked together with two ends, the plastic attachment in between is soft and can be chewed by a dog. With a comfortable grip, this rope dog leash is perfect for any pet owner looking for a durable and safe piece of equipment that they can depend on.
6. Dutchy Brand Heavy Duty Leash
- Reasonable 6-foot leash, trusted by dog trainers and walkers.
- Optimal design and strong nylon built, to maintain control while dog pulling.
- Tangle free 360° connector clip with easy lock and unlock mechanism.
- Offered in 5 colors, black and blue are the most popular.
- Easy to wash, just wash with gentle detergent, and hang to dry.
- Won’t resist continuous dog chewing, will tear down with time.
This safety leash is a must-have for dog owners who want to go on a walk at night. Made from double nylon layers, this leash is much stronger than standard 6-foot leashes. However, it is not as rigid as LEASH LINKS or Mighty Paw Chew-Proof Dog Leash and is best suitable for light-chewing canines.
The padded handle is well known for its comfortable grip on long walks. A sturdy metal clasp gives a strong attachment to any dog collar. The reflective material adds safety by making you more visible at night. You can also choose to donate the leash in case you are not satisfied. However, you can also get a refund.
Nevertheless, there are some nylon or leather dog leashes that are stronger and therefore more chew-resistant than the others. Such durable dog leashes mostly depend on a double layering of the fabric and strengthened rivets, while some are made of strong, braided nylon or cotton threads.
Dutchy Brand Heavy Duty Leash is designed to withstand continuous chewing and are dog leashes that can t be chewed through that easily.
7. CtopoGo Heavy Duty Chain Leash
- Chain dog leash in 47inches or 70inches length.
- Metal chain leash with chromium plating that won’t rust.
- Easy to grip comfortable PU leather handle.
- Durable clip for strong attachment with a dog harness.
- Comfortable to use on medium, and large dogs.
- Not for small breed dogs and puppies as the leash is quite heavy.
It’s a heavy-duty metal chain leash that is available in two lengths. The leash is constructed from strong metal and has a double-stitched leather handle. It is water-resistant. However, it is better to keep it dry as people have experienced rusting. The chain itself is designed in such a way that it doesn’t get caught in the hair of the dog while walking.
The ctopoGo heavy-duty dog leash is a great addition to any dog owner’s arsenal. The metal and leather strap both appear well-made and durable. However, the chain leash is heavier than other leashes on this list thus, not for small dogs and puppies. With this leash, you can keep your dog close and safe at all times.
Chain leashes are very stiff so they do not stretch and should be avoided if your pup pulls a lot. The chain is built to easily withstand the teething and chewing of dogs.
8. S-ETOVUS Dog Training Leash
- Available in 4 different lengths and 6 versatile colors.
- The chain is strong, stainless steel that is chew resistant.
- Unique design with heavy-duty chain plus woven nylon rope.
- Comfortable handle with nylon edging and padding.
- Durable hook that can rotate 360°.
- Heavy leash as compared to others, not for puppies.
If your dog loves to run off or pull on the leash, a heavy-duty leash will help keep your dog under control. These leashes are equipped with a rotating snap buckle for easy attachment and release. It has a quick-release buckle lock, which prevents the leash from twisting and the dog from getting tangled.
The padded handle is comfortable for any user and won’t fatigue hand during long walks. These sturdy chains are made from a combination of metal and nylon, which means they’re strong enough to hold a large dog.
The stainless-steel dog chain leash is designed with super-strong stainless steel woven with nylon rope to ensure durability and effective anti-chew capability. The long-chain leash allows your pup to have enough space to walk comfortably, which is good for exercising and training purposes.
Buyer’s Guide | Choose The Best Chew-proof Dog Leash
Not all leashes are chew-resistant, and people might get confused on which one is the best. Honestly, there is no indestructible dog leash. All leashes have a life span. However, chew-proof leashes are made from quality materials and are designed for supreme durability.
Here you can get an idea of how we have tested and the features to look for in a chew-proof dog leash.
- Choose a durable material: Puppies that are heavy chewers can tear through a leash in a few days. A chew-proof leash should have strong material. Chain, leather, rope and steel cable leashes are some options. If your dog is a mild chewer, one can also opt for nylon leash but remember to get the leash that has two layers of nylon with double stitching.
- Look for a thicker Leash: Leashes made from thick material are less likely to fray fast on dog biting. They have stronger footprint in comparison to thinner leashes. So, regardless of a rope or leather leash, go for the one with extra mass to it.
- Go for suitable length: length of the leash is not a feature to overlook. A short leash might frustrate the dog, or an extra-long leash may tangle it while walking. A leash that is well-sized allows the dog to move around freely and stay in a good mood at the time of leash training.
- Reliable locking system: The dog collar attachment clip of a leash is the most important feature when it comes to dog safety as a broken clip may result in dog getting unleash. If your dog is a heavy puller go for a strong metal clip. You can also consider getting a chew-proof leash with carabiner locking as it well known for durability.
- A comfortable dog leash handle: The primary function of leash is dog training and walking that is why an easy to grip and comfy handle is a must in any chew-proof leash. The handle should be well-built with an ergonomic design.
- Prefer a made in USA leash when possible: The made in USA dog leashes are well-known for strong construction and durable design. However, there are many top-quality leashes made by non-US manufacturers, but chew-proof leashes made in the US are superior and may cost a bit more as well.
Benefits of Using a Chew-proof Dog Leash
Is there any leash that is unbreakable and worthy of being a 100% chew-proof dog leash? The apparent answer is no, every leash can break or can be chewed upon. A good chew-proof leash is one that can resist chewing better than any normal leash. Here are some benefits of getting a chew-proof leash for your dog.
FAQs on Durable Dog Leashes that Can’t be Chewed
What Makes a Dog Leash Chew-Proof?
What makes a leash chew-resistant is the use of high-quality material and durable hardware. Of course, not all of these durable leashes are completely indestructible. However, they are stronger and more thinker than the typical nylon leashes available at a pet store.
What Materials are Best for a Chew-Proof leash?
Never assume that a leash is chew-proof only if the manufacturers label their leashes as “durable,” “heavy-duty” and “strong.” The only leashes that are truly unbreakable are metal cable or chain leashes. Dogs with the right motivation can chew through materials like nylon, rope, cotton, leather, or hemp.
What about Retractable Chew-Proof Dog Leashes?
We wish you Good luck in your search for the best chew-proof retractable dog leash. Usually, chew-resistant leashes are built of metal or strong nylon threads. A retractable setup doesn’t fit well with these materials, thus there is not a wide range of chew-proof retractable leashes to choose from. To make things easier we recommend considering one of these two chew-proof retractable dog leashes; PUPTECK or LAIKA anti-bite retractable dog leash.
How to Stop Leash Biting with a Chew-Resistant Dog Leash?
Chew-resistant dog leashes are created solely for dogs that are heavy chewers and chompers. These leashes are constructed of especially durable material to withstand such chewing.
However, a chew-proof dog leash is not a final solution to the leash chewing problem, ultimately you have to train your dog to avoid leash biting otherwise you will be paying for a new leash every month or so.
Final Thoughts | Best Chew Proof Dog Leashes
Most of the dog leashes are not entirely chew-proof. However, these leashes are rigid and have multiple layers of nylon that will only tear with continuous chewing over a period of time.
Although LEASH LINKS Dog Leash Trainer is a chew-proof dog leash that is most reliable and will not let you down as it uses steel cable that is tested to withstand 920lbs force.
The only reason that anybody has ever considered using a chew-proof leash is because of a bad experience with one of their dogs. However, you can teach dogs not to chew on the leash, but this requires training. The best chew-proof dog leash can help you avoid leash damage while teaching your pooch not to chew through the leash.